The Dental Practice has a telephone system that automatically records all conversations. Like many other organisations, this is a standard practice that allows the recording of telephone calls for quality monitoring, training, compliance and security purposes.
Purpose of this telephone recording policy
In order to maintain high standards and protect the public, staff and associates we need to record all telephone calls received into the business and retain them for future reference.
We shall ensure that the use of these recordings is fair and that we comply with the requirements of the relevant legislation.
• The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000;
• The Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications Regulations) 2000;
• The Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999;
• The Data Protection Act 1998; and
• The Human Rights Act 1998.
Scope of policy
Under normal circumstances a call will not be retrieved or monitored unless:
• It is necessary to investigate a complaint;
• It is part of a management ‘spot check’ that customer service standards are being met;
• There is a threat to the health and safety of staff or visitors or for the prevention or detection of crime;
• It is necessary to check compliance with regulatory procedures; or
• It will aid standards in call handling through use in training and coaching our staff. However, this will only be permitted if the recording is edited so that the caller remains anonymous and the member of staff who was party to the call agrees to its being used in this way.
Personal data collected during recording activities will be processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
It will be:
• Adequate, relevant and not excessive;
• Used for the purpose(s) stated in this policy only and not used for any other purposes;
• Accessible only to managerial staff after securing permission from the Head of Secretariat;
• Treated confidentially;
• Stored securely; and
• Not kept for longer than necessary and will be securely destroyed once the issue(s) in question have been resolved.
• Advising callers that calls are being monitored/recorded